Thursday, August 11, 2016

WSUS Server crapped the bed after installing KB3159706

I have several domain controllers I manage for local businesses and most of them I run WSUS on the hyper-v host. Lately I've had a run in with KB3159706 which was not pleasant. After it's installed I get the following error in Windows Event Viewer: 
"Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'SUSDB'. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]"

If you look on the internet for a bit you'll find several solutions saying to remove the referenced KB. I say nay to that.
Basically the steps boil down to:
  1. Open an elevated Command Prompt and run "C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing
  2. Enable HTTP Activation under .NET Framework 4.5 Features in the Server Manager Add Roles and Features Wizard
  3. Restart the WSUS service
No need to uninstall KB3159706.
Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/233a6b37-5919-4a9e-9538-aa0e7bd7111a/wsus-console-service-cant-start-reason-failed-to-open-the-explicitly-specified-database?forum=winserverwsus

4 comments:

  1. thanks. Just happened to me too and that was the only WSUS related update from last night so uninstalled to get it working again will try your fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to contribute. It's why I started this blog.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to make use of my help.

    ReplyDelete